To water or not to water ?? X_x

Questions & answers about Lithops related nightmares!
Eats_beats_trees

To water or not to water ?? X_x

Postby Eats_beats_trees » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:14 am

Hello!
Thanks in advance for reading/replying ") . I have these lithops I received about a month ago. Since then they've changed a little but I'm not sure if it's a good thing. I watered them a little last week as they seemed pretty wrinkly and I've been keeping inside by a window with some artificial light.
Attachments
IMG_2587.JPG
Some burnt a little from the light. Hoping they're ok
IMG_2593.JPG
Does this discoloration and wrinkling look like it's from too much sun/too little or too much water?

Australian

Re: To water or not to water ?? X_x

Postby Australian » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:25 pm

It depends where you live. Now in the southern hemisphere you can water them every 7-15 days; in the northern hemisphere you should only water them enough for the plant to stay alive. You can spray them once every 2 weeks and once every a month you can water them lightly.

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:23 pm

This is why I ask new members to tellus what country they live in, as it helps other members to make more constructive replies.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

Eats_beats_trees

Postby Eats_beats_trees » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:01 am

Hello Australian,
I live in the northern hemisphere where they do not need much water.
I use an artificial light to give the plants adequate sun. In the beginning I put the light a little close and some of the plants look a little burnt. Most of the calluses appear superficial although I'm sure they slowed down the plants progress.

All the plants are still firm. I just haven't any progress. Around this time of the year is when the leaves should begin splitting?

Australian

Postby Australian » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:31 pm

In the northern hemisphere this is the end of the flowering season. You need to wait for the spring to see plant changing leaves. You should water only like once every 3 weeks or so for a month. From December onward you can mist the plants if they get a big wrinkly or soft.

Limania

Postby Limania » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:02 pm

In my experience it's no good idea to water from now on until the old leaves completely dried off - especially L. julii. I`m cultivating my Lithops in Germany. Only seedlings up to one year I`ll continue to water.

Australian

Postby Australian » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:08 pm

I agree. As soon as the new leaves appear, no water at all until the old leaves are completely dry.

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Good advice Limania.
I am curious why artficial lights were needed in Florida. If you have burnt the growing point you may have killed the plant,( it will die slowly ). If you have not killed the growing point it probably will take a long time to recover. Good luck with them, keep us posted.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

Eats_beats_trees

Postby Eats_beats_trees » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Due to rain, high humidity && even hurricanes here in Fl I keep the plants indoors. I was worried the windowsill I have the plants on doesn't receive enough direct sunlight. Maybe a few-4. I had the light already and didn't want the plants to etilioate. The light I use is 120v. I thought it wasn't a very strong one

Eats_beats_trees

Postby Eats_beats_trees » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Luckily none of them are burnt all the way to the growing point. Hope they'll recover

Return to “Lithops Help”